Saturday, April 5, 2008

I Finished the Half Marathon!


Ok, I realize this picture is taken in my backyard, but I promise I really did finish the half marathon I ran...I just didn't have my camera there to document the event, so I took this when I got home. My dad and Steve also ran the race. The Half Marathon (13.1 miles) race was around Pine View--through Eden & Hunstville. It was a chilly race. A couple miles into the race I met up with Libby Jacobs, Kysha Hill, and Lisa Johnston from my ward. I didn't even know they were running in the race, but I was able to run with them up until about mile 9. Just after mile two, we had a scary experience as Steve and I saw a lady running about 30 feet in front of us get hit by a truck. She was running in the middle of the road on the double line and all the sudden she jetted across to the left without looking behind her (we were all supposed to stay to the right). The truck was thankfully going pretty slow and stopped very quickly, but hit her and we saw her shoe fly across the road. I couldn't believe she just stood up and said she was fine after getting hit by a truck. I heard later that someone broke their leg--I'm assuming that was her. It startled me so much that my heart just felt like it was racing and I actually started crying! The end of the race was pretty cold with a head wind, but I was happy I was able to run the entire the race without stopping and finished in 2 hours and 3 minutes.

9 comments:

Stott Family 5 said...

Heidi, you are awesome, I thought about you guys yesterday while I was at Rachel's soccer game at 9 am and was freezing by behind off, Jen Poulson was with me (Jill is on Rachel's team), and we were thinking about you guys and glad we weren't there, but Congrats you did awesome and I am so proud of you!!! I will just live vicariously through you okay!

Perry Family said...

WOW!! I thought you'd never run another half again after our bad experience so many years ago! Except, that was kind of fun after the fact (when I could walk again, ha ha!) Great job!!! You are inspiring me to want to do it again!! And kind of freaky that you saw a lady get hit...crazy!!

ps...we are very excited to see you guys in a couple of weeks!!

Jessica said...

The thought of running for 2 hours straight really makes me want to vomit! I admire all of you that are great runners around here!! Maybe one of these days I'll develop a love for it!

Bangerter family said...

Your amazing!

Minnette said...

Congrat Heidi! Your the women! If you ever want to slow your pace- call me, it will give me an excuse to get my lazy body so excercise.

Anonymous said...

YOU ROCK GIRL!! I'M SO PROUD OF YOU! KEEP US THE GOOD WORK... YOU ARE ALSO LOOKING SO DANG CUTE!!


LOVE YA!

Julie said...

So this is the secret to looking so great 6 months after having a baby...I'm totally and completely impressed. Good for you!

Wight's said...

Heidi, your great. Look at what boot camp has done for you, I still hate running even after 12 weeks of boot camp. Your blog is adorable, you do a great job. I am impressed with your running.

The Albuquerque Sheps said...

WOW, way to go!!! I think that's awsome, about you I mean, not the lady.