Sunday, May 25, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend


We started our Memorial Day weekend with a visit from my sister Natalie on her way home from ISU. It's always fun to have her around. She was telling me about Lori & Todd's blog with Brooklyn dressed in her camo pants in the tent they set up in the house. That just sounded like so much fun, so we decided to give it a try too! Kaitlyn loved it! She slept in the tent every night during the weekend, and took naps in there too!

On Saturday my parents and my brother Jon came to our house and we decided to go the Hill Air Force Aerospace Museum. I had never been, and everyone else hadn't been for a very long time. We had only been there a few minutes and were admiring the large aircraft named after Jake Garn when my dad pointed out that the man standing very close to us (taking a picture of the aircraft) was Jake Garn!! My dad started talking to him and we enjoyed a few stories from this former Utah Senator, Pilot in the Utah National Guard and Astronaut! He was super friendly and pretty funny, too! He said he had never taken a picture of the aircraft that was named after him so he decided to do that today! He was also hosting a reunion for a bunch of fighter pilots that day.

The aircraft in the background is the one named after Jake Garn.


Jake Garn showing us pictures of the plane he flies now.




Uncle Jon and Kaitlyn

President Reagan's Air Force One. They just got this a week before we were there.



Kaitlyn in the ejection seat!


Aunt Natalie & Kaitlyn




After church on Sunday, we went to the cemetery in Bountiful. I couldn't believe how many people were there and how beautiful it was with all the flowers. Steve wanted to go take a picture of us next to his younger brother Michael's head stone. We brought the camera, took the picture of Steve and the kids, downloaded it onto the computer, wrote "I LOVE YOU MICHAEL" on the picture (using my nifty digital scrapbooking skills), printed it in the car using a power converter and set it next to the stone.

Our little Michael is named after his uncle Michael Terry who passed on in 1997. I am sad I never got to meet my brother-in-law. I know he was a wonderful person and had a great impact on so many lives at the young age of 17. I'm glad that we can carry on his name in our son.


Steve's parents met us there and we walked to some of Steve's other relatives' stones.



Grandpa Terry & Kaitlyn




Monday we were planning to go to the zoo, but it ended up raining pretty much the entire day. We did have fun going to Carl's Jr. with some friends and letting the kids play on the playland. Then we had dinner at Allison's house with some of the Terry family.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

The tent idea is definitely a hit with little kids! That was a fun time at the museum with Jake Garn.

Perry Family said...

You almost brought tears to my eyes! Looks like you had an awesome weekend. I didn't know that Micheal was named after Steve's brother, that is really neat. I love how Kaitlyn hung out in the tent all weekend:) Too cute!