After my encounter with the "Living on Half as Much" Today Show segment, I ran into this internet MSNBC news story on how to "Be a Frugalist: Small Changes, Big Savings". In hopes that this could really give me some insight on how to save money, I read their 10 tips. After reading through the ideas, I didn't realize I was already saving so much money! Too bad you don't really "see" the savings unless you've been spending more in the first place. Anyway, check out the 10 tips: (I included the link if you want all the cute pictures, or you can just read the text I have below with my added comments and saving suggestions!).
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24855898?pg=1#EXTREME_Frugal_080603Be a frugalist: Small changes, big savings
Sometimes, it pays to sweat the small stuff. Here’s a look at minor changes you can make that add up to big budget savings.
Sometimes, it pays to sweat the small stuff. Here’s a look at minor changes you can make that add up to big budget savings.
1. Caffeine buzzkill
Buying a $3 latte five days a week for a year: $780
Buying a $3 latte five days a week for a year: $780
Buying a one-pound bag of Starbucks French Roast coffee each week for a year: $543.40 Savings: $236.60
Heidi's tip/comment: What if I don't drink coffee at all??? I mean seriously, how many times have you heard how much you can save from not going to Starbucks--I'm sick of it!
2. Costly gossip
Buying Us Weekly at the newsstand each week for a year: $207.48
Buying Us Weekly at the newsstand each week for a year: $207.48
Subscribing for a year: $51.48
Savings: $156
Savings tally so far: $392.60
Heidi's tip/comment: Well, I do get the Friend and Ensign Magazines...guess I could cut those out!Savings tally so far: $392.60
3. Pricey pint
Buying a pint of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream each week for a year: $223.08
Buying a pint of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream each week for a year: $223.08
Buying the equivalent amount of Safeway Select ice cream: $89.44
Savings: $133.64
Savings tally so far: $526.24
Heidi's tip/comment: Ok, I'll be honest--here's one area I could cut back in. I do eat WAY TOO MUCH ice cream and I probably could save some money by not having a couple scoops every night. If I didn't buy a half gallon of cheap (or whatever's on sale) ice cream every couple weeks, I could probably save about $40 a year! Savings tally so far: $526.24
4. Outrageous outfit
Buying a casual shirt, pants and sweater at The Gap: $133.50
Buying the equivalent outfit at the thrift shop: $16
Savings: $117.50
Savings tally so far: $643.74
Heidi's tip/comment: Don't even go there! I resorted to buying $4 running shorts at D.I. last week! If I got any more frugal I'd be buying used underwear!Savings tally so far: $643.74
5. Wasted water
Buying one 79-cent bottle of water each day for a year: $288.35
Buying one 79-cent bottle of water each day for a year: $288.35
Buying one Brita water filter and three replacement water filters: $39.01
Savings: $249.34
Savings tally so far: $893.08
Heidi's tip/comment: Do people actually buy 79-cent bottled water every day? Ever heard of a thing I like to call a "refillable water bottle"?Savings tally so far: $893.08
6. Prudent pizza
Ordering a large pepperoni pizza from Domino’s every two weeks for a year: $421.20
Ordering a large pepperoni pizza from Domino’s every two weeks for a year: $421.20
Buying a large frozen pizza at the grocery store every two weeks for a year: $207.74
Savings: $213.46
Savings tally so far: $1,106.54
Heidi's tip/comment: I bought some frozen "Tony's Pizza's" from the grocery store...it's nice because it doubles as cardboard!Savings tally so far: $1,106.54
7. Movie madness
Buying two movie theater tickets every two weeks for a year: $481
Renting a movie every two weeks for a year: $126.36Savings: $354.64
Savings tally so far: $1,461.18
Heidi's tip/comment: I'm excited if I get to go to a movie twice a year!Savings tally so far: $1,461.18
8. Morning (budget) crunch
Buying one 18-ounce box of Kellogg’s Corn Flakes each week for a year: $243.88
Buying one 18-ounce box of Kellogg’s Corn Flakes each week for a year: $243.88
Buying one 18-ounce box of equivalent Safeway brand cereal each week for a year: $143
Savings: $100.88
Savings tally so far: $1,562.06
Heidi's tip/comment: I love Malt O' Meal Cereal!Savings tally so far: $1,562.06
9. Soda splurge
Buying one 65-cent can of soda five days a week for a year: $169
Buying one 65-cent can of soda five days a week for a year: $169
Buying the same number of soda cans in 12-packs from the grocery store: $129.58
Savings: $39.42
Savings tally so far: $1,601.48
Heidi's tip/comment: If you're buying 79-cent bottles of water every day, can't you just refill that with water from the drinking fountain and skip the soda?Savings tally so far: $1,601.48
10. Snack attack
Buying one 80-cent bag of chips five days a week per year: $208
Buying the same number of bags in 24-bag packages: $98.89
Savings: $109.11
SAVINGS GRAND TOTAL: $1,710.59
Heidi's tip/comment: Ever heard of buying a big bag of chips and then putting a few in a ziploc bag? Do we really need a bag of chips every day??
5 comments:
I am really laughing right now! That was not even reality! I can't believe they thought that was so cool and they only did it for a week. How about trying to go without a pedicure for a month? What would she do?
If it makes you feel better, D.I. doesn't sell used underwear. Wouldn't that be disgusting!!!
Oh my gosh, Heidi. You are making me laugh so hard right now.
I agree with you. When you only splurge on one or maybe two things (ours is cable) what do you cut out?
And I'm WAY over the Starbucks issue!!!
I'm just proud of you for already being more frugal than a large portion of the population! You are hysterical--I loved the commentary.
I'm right there with you!!! Just reading about someone else's life and the "things" they cut out made me laugh...that was a great post! Has that lady ever tried doing her own toenails??? LOL!!!
Post a Comment