Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Living on Half as Much???

I was watching the Today Show this morning and when I heard the segment coming up called "Living on Half as Much", it peaked my interest...I mean who doesn't want to save money right now? Well, if you have a few minutes click on the link to check out this 7 minute segment.
I had the urge to scream at this lady as she told how they lived on half as much for an entire week! You really have to feel for this family as sadly enough she was not able to get her weekly pedicure (although she made sure to fit in an appointment the night before the "test" began). I'm not sure how this is "giving up" a pedicure since they only did the test for a week...oooh! She probably ended up going an entire 8 days without getting her feet rubbed! The pain of cutting back continued as she had to actually open the microwave and make her kids fish sticks for lunch and not go out! Oh, and then trading babysitting with a neighbor for a day--I really felt for her at this point. And then, heaven forbid, they actually washed the car as a family--this saved them $25 for not going to the carwash!! (Are there $25 carwashes?) I really felt bad as in the midst of all this frugal living they couldn't have the house professionally cleaned. Life hit an all time low for this family as they had to find something to do at home so they broke out the slip 'n slide for the kids and had friends over for a pot luck--how embarrassing! I think my favorite part of the interview was seeing the husband try to start the lawnmower that looked like he hadn't used it in years because they pay someone to do it.
Next time I think I'll call the Today Show and do the "Living on Half as Much" test...we'll be eating AT the neighbors house, selling our furniture, and I'll be setting up my own road-side "Manicures for $20" stand to pay the bills! For now, though, we'll all be feeling sorry for the hard week this family had to endure.

5 comments:

Lori said...

Wow, that's kind of a reality check, especially since our life is the cutting back part. I love how they make that sound so easy and wonder why all of us aren't doing that.

Oh, I think the show made a mistake on their math. The family's budget added up to $171.59 that week, not $109.38. I think they're trying to make it look even better.

The Dixon Family said...

Yeah, I'm pretty annoyed at this as well. Give yourself a brownie for mowing your own lawn . . .

Lorraine said...

Yes, I watched this as I was putting a pan of pinto beans on to soak. Hilarious! Oh yeah, and I'll be cutting my husband's hair tonight. I wonder how much that has saved over 30+ years of marriage!

Jessica said...

wow! Do people really live like that? AMAZING!

Minnette said...

Incredible! I hope she didn't break a nail cleaning her own house! I love your comments along with the list. So funny..we are totally in the same boat!